Monday, May 19, 2014

Godzilla (2014) Review Spoiler Free


I'm not going to spoil anything for you guys that is major in the movie. It would just discourage you if I start pinpointing how long Godzilla was in the movie as some reviews have already done this. If you ask me, I think they added Godzilla in the movie at the perfect times as majority of the movie focused on the world military forces taking down the MUTOs (Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism). The MUTOs are ancient creatures born from a much earlier time, probably around dinosaur era (maybe even earlier then that), that feeds off radiation and radioactivity material. When the earth radiation subsided, the MUTOs went underground into a crptobiotic state until minors in the Philippines disturbed there hibernation. One of the MUTOs awaken from their slumber and started the waiting process for the right moment to do what creatures love to do best. Preserve the species.

I will say this up front, I'm not a hardcore Godzilla fan. However, I have seen some of the classic Godzilla movies when I was a child. I still remembered the basic origin of Godzilla and a few monsters he battled. Sometimes when you remember the classic, you still want to see a resemblance of it in a remake. One of the reasons why I did not like the Roland Emmerich 1998 Godzilla as Godzilla looked like a T-Rex. It was just horrible. Now Godzilla 2014 directed by Gareth Edwards, was a tremendous upgrade then 1998 movie. Edwards went back to the original look of Godzilla (Thank Goodness) and now the King of Monsters is back and glorious as ever.

The plot of the movie was easy to follow. With my science level, I understood majority of what the scientist was explaining when discussing about the MUTOs and Godzilla origins (glad I paid attention in school now). With a movie like this, you don't want to make the plot too complex or the suspense of the movie will just fall flat. The CGI, one word, awesome. It was dark, gritty and looked liked an asteroid hit the earth and created a dusk cloud of no hope wherever these monsters walked or battled. It just worked. It did lack character development for the humans in the movie. But in honesty I could careless. The humans did there part in the movie which was to mess everything up worse then it already was. The picture on the right would describe Godzilla frustration with humanity throughout the movie. Humans just love destroying things that are bigger and more powerful then them. Poor Godzilla is just a misunderstood creature.

I have read mix reviews of the movie. Not everybody is going to like movies such as this. In my opinion, I always tell people watch the movie for yourself. One person may think it's dumb but you may think it was pretty good. My finale score of the movie, I give Godzilla an 8/10.

Also, since the movie did so well in its opening weekend racking up $196 worldwide, a sequel has already been confirmed. As more information unfolds, it is unclear if Gareth Edwards will be directing the sequel or somebody else. Whatever they do, I hope the sequel doesn't come out until 2017. For a franchise like this, that basically focus on huge monsters as the core of the story, I think it will need that amount of time to produce a promising sequel.

Tell me what your thoughts about the movie and the future sequel in the comment sections below. Gozilla is in theaters right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment