Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con Review

Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con has come and gone once again as this year was my first time attending this convention. Yes, I do live in Philly but I was more of an anime convention congoer before I branched out last year into comic conventions. For the many conventions I have been too, I really had an fantastic time at Philly Con. I had a specific agenda for this con, no photoops or autographs. This method allowed me to have more time to take pictures of cosplayers, buying items from vendors and attending panels.

Pros
I was surprised I attended many of the panels I had planned. I think largely of that have to do with the size of the Pennsylvania convention center. Unlike Javits Convention center rooms for New York Comic Con which are really small for the amount of crowd that con attracts, Philly Con rooms were bigger. The grandball room was gigantic that probably could fit over a thousand congoers. Also, the best part about the grandball room, they didn't care if you recorded or took pictures. Some cons frown on that behavior, which is ridiculous at times.

Majority of the panels I attended, I recorded and already uploaded on Fort Fandom Youtube page. Karen Gillan, Christopher Lloyd, Ralph Macchio, Martin Kove, Eddie McClintock, Dave Batista and Eliza Dushku panels was extremely fun to attend as they talked about there movie projects, career and answered the fans questions.

The waiting in line was very surprising for panels. Each panel I attended I waited 45 minutes or less. That has to be a record for a big con. Also what contributed to that, the staff was not clearing out every panel. Luckily the room I was in had the best line up so I didn't have to leave the room period. Normally I would frown on people camping out in panels for one celebrity 4 panels down the road, but I knew all the guests that was in those panels, so I didn't feel guilty that much.

The cosplayers was the main attraction at Philly Con. The creativity, design and humorous cosplayers, was all fantastic. The children dressed up as my favorite characters, was extremely adorable. I congratulated on some parents saying keep up the great work. I love encouraging the parents to keep bringing their children to conventions and get them into cosplay. It's fun, a positive atmosphere, and the children can dress up awesome besides Halloween. If you want to see any cosplays photos I have taken at Philly Con, check out our facebook page.

Cons
Although I didn't experience it at the con, however my friend who attended the con with me said the photoops and autograph lines was not managed properly. She was frustrated along with many others as I witnessed it when I kept checking on her while doing other activities. This was one of the main reasons why I didn't forgo photoops and autographs for Philly Con. I predicted the lines for these celebrities was going to be ludicrous and I didn't want to spend my entire time at a convention grueling through those lines. At conventions, you have to choose your battle on what you want to do. If you want photoops and autographs, be prepared to wait in extremely large lines.

Philadelphia Comic Con 2015
In no doubt in my mind I will be attending Wizard World Philadelphia Comic Con next year. The date is May 7-10 2015 which is cutting it close with my other conventions like BookCon or Awesome Con. If you are coming to Philly Comic Con, buy your 4-day tickets as soon as possible. I heard many people had no choice but to buy the downgraded less expensive VIP passes when 4-day passes was gone along with Saturday tickets. To avoid that headache, purchase your tickets early and you won't have that problem.

Make sure you follow Fort Fandom on twitter, facebook, and youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment